Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Aftersales Support is Just as Important as Product

                                                  Crashed Yuneec Typhoon H

More and more, we are discovering that the relationship between manufacturer and customer is shifting. Now, we are told that customers are gods to manufacturers and they are to be flattered if manufacturers want to sell. But, after buying something, it’s easy for the customer to discover that they are gods no more. They are abandoned because they are caught in a web of unhelpful aftersales services. Stories like this happen every week, every day throughout almost every industry.
Typhoon H (Damaged motor and propellers)

I have two years of UAV flying experience, so I treated myself to a Typhoon H but I managed to crash it the first time I flew. I was trying out Smart mode, but I guess one of us wasn’t smart enough. Luckily, only three propellers were broken.
On the tablet, I saw a message that one of motors was no longer working normally. So, I had to reach out to support. I tried their phone number what feels like a hundred times, but never had any luck so I started digging around for other ways to make contact.
Here’s when I started running into trouble. Surprisingly, the Community section of the Yuneec website didn’t go to any people, only to a series of videos.

I moved on to the “Support” section, but all I found there were FAQs, not any way to reach out to someone able to offer genuine support.


After trying for more than half an hour, I just couldn’t find any contact information for aftersales services. I was already raging because my Typhoon was busted and the fact that I couldn’t get support just made things worse. Weirdly, last week, I met a friend with a DJI Inspire and poured my frustrations out on him. He just laughed and showed me his DJI GO App.


He pointed at the app and showed me the direct contact for DJI Support built right in and easy to reach. This includes everything from online customer service, email address, and even an active DJI Community (not a series of videos) so that he can discuss any problems he has and get responses almost immediately.
People used to say that DJI’s aftersales services was terrible. At the time, the whole consumer drone industry was just getting off the ground, so maybe they found it hard to keep up with demand. Today though, DJI has fixed its support issues while other brands are now running into those early problems. Now though, customer experiences are much more important than ever before, which makes it all the more surprising that Yuneec seems to actively hide any opportunity to reach out to support.
Consumer drones are designed for anyone to use, and maybe they can become as popular as mobile phones and tablet computers in the future. Whatever the future holds, it’s pretty clear that aftersales is just as important as product.






No comments:

Post a Comment